You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
The QB64 Edition
Blokus Board Game in QB64 - Printable Version

+- The QB64 Edition (http://www.thejoyfulprogrammer.com/qb64/forum)
+ Thread: Blokus Board Game in QB64 (/showthread.php?tid=181)

Blokus Board Game in QB64 - Donald Foster - 10-23-2014 08:44 AM

I actually started making a Go game on my Tandy 2000 many years ago. I had the board and pieces done and players alternated putting stones on the board. But, being able to determine if a players stones are completely surrounded got a bit complicated, so I never finished the game.

A nice stone game that I did finish back then you might know is Pente. A very easy game to make. It's a five in a row game or you can win by collecting pairs of stones. I haven't gotten around to remaking this one yet.

Two other great games I wrote back then were Shogi, which is Japanese Chess. Where players plays with tiles laying on each end of the board facing their opponante. The pieces and the board setup slight different from Western Chess, but the rules are pretty much the same. One major difference is when you capture an oppenantes pieces, that piece is not out of the game. But belongs to you now and you can drop in back in the game agains your opponante.

Chase is not played like Chess at all, but it's just as challenging to play as Chess. It's played on a 9x9 hex board, but the game board has no boundries. The board is made into a cylinder and when a piece goes off one end of the board, it coninues i's move on the other side. Also the top and bottom of he board are pointed, so when a piece is traveling towards the end of the board, it continues it's move back up the other direction. The game is played with 10 dice numbered 1 2 3 4 5 4 3 2 1 along the bottom edge of the board wih thenth dice out of play at the moment. Pieces move in a stright line the total number on the dice without jumping over pieces in all six directions. There the pain move where it moves to an empty space. A capture when landing on your opponantes piece. A bump move when landing on our own piece. Two pieces beside eachother can swap values. And the chamber move by landing in the center of the board by exact count, allows you to bring more pieces onto the board. All of the pices totaled together is 25. You must maintain 25 points on the board at all time. If one of your pieces is captured, you must make up the difference by increasing other pieces values. When you get down to 4 pieces left, you've lost the game. It's challenging because there's a lot to pay attention to. For instance, the piece on the other side of the board is right beside you and if it's value is a 1, it can capture you on it's next move.

Thank you Anthony for your input.