You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
The QB64 Edition
Input Board Game in QB64 - Printable Version

+- The QB64 Edition (http://www.thejoyfulprogrammer.com/qb64/forum)
+ Thread: Input Board Game in QB64 (/showthread.php?tid=187)

Input Board Game in QB64 - Waltersmind - 11-15-2014 02:47 AM

Donald,

I did attempt to sneak in some off-topic material into my message, but it was to help emphasize and have fun with the idea and concept of perspective. Since my overall message was about different perspectives of your game, I feel like it was on-topic. I have to admit though, I love going off on a tangent in my writings, and the longer you hang around me, the more you will see that.

Now to get "off-topic" a bit, and to teach you a little more about me. I never paid much attention in school when it came to learning the intricates of the English language. Even though I loved reading stories in books while growing up (I was and still am a book worm), and coming up with new ones of my own, I never associated Nouns, Pronouns, Adjectives, plurals, idioms, and all the other complex structures of the English language with writing. I thought all I had to do when creating sentences was make them sound right, based on how others at the time wrote. I still follow by that idea for the most part, because I believe that after reading many books and writings over the years, the human mind can see the patterns in the words in a different perspective, and can understand those patterns without having to define them with other words. To me, this is almost like a compression algorithm for the mind which I like to describe as, "Understanding without definition".

I have books on writing and the English language, and though I have learned a lot, I am still trying to wrap my head around the complex definitions of the various parts of writing as well as the "tricks-of-the-trade". I am not perfect, but I enjoy writing and telling stories, which is why many of my posts are long like this one. In saying that, I wish an English teacher / professor would become a member on this forum and tear my writing apart, and help me learn the correct ways of writing.

I guess I should come to a close now on my off-topic message, but before I do, I would like share one last tidbit of information about me. Years ago, when I was doing the FaceBook scene, I posted many short stories on my profile when Facebook allowed such things to happen. But, before FaceBook had the chance to pull the plug, my wife made me remove them completely, saying that I should be sending them in to several writing contests online to see if I could win money. Sadly, I never submitted my stories, nor did I find any other outlet to share them on. Though my favorite topic is science fiction, I can write stories on just about any subject, from the very happy, to the very strange, and can do so without prejudice.

Before she died, my mother and I would play a game of creating stories. Originally one of us would start a story, the other would add to it, and we would go back and forth building ideas on top of ideas. Each of us could send the story in any direction we wanted, but we had to maintain the storyline. Later on though, it became a competition of sorts. We added a new rule to the writing game. When we started and ended our parts of the story, we had to do so with an physical object. To make things even more challenging, the other player had to tell the current story-teller what object to start with, though the current author could end with what ever object they wanted. For example, my mother started one story off with a stone carving of a hand and wrist that appeared to be broken off a complete statue, and the piece was found on an isolated beach, half buried in the sand. I decided to weave a detective story from it, basically like a Nancy Drew novel. The protagonist in my story was female, and the beach was just outside her grandparents estate. That became a very big story that went on for several days. I should put it in a book with the rest of my short stories, but that is fun for another time.

Now I close the off-topic message and get back on topic. I played your game a few more times and still enjoy it.

Walter Whitman
The Joyful Programmer

P.S.,

When I started writing computer programs as a hobby over thirty years ago, I did so in hopes to tell my stories with cool graphics and animations, or even one day be able to immerse players into the midst of my stories. So writing code for me about telling a story.