You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
SIGN IN Join Our Community For FREE

Dakapo Board Game in QB64
03-23-2015, 08:56 PM (This post was last modified: 03-28-2015 09:43 PM by Donald Foster.)
 (Print Post)
Photo Dakapo Board Game in QB64
Hello All,

Dakapo is a 2 player board game. The board 8 x 8 and has 4 different color playing pieces. Players take turns placing one piece, any color, on the board at a time. Neither color belongs to either player. Player wins by getting four pieces of the same color on the corners of any size square at any angle on the board. A piece is played on any empty position must be placed adjacent to any piece already on the board. A piece my not be played adjacent to a piece already on the board of the same color. A player may not play the same color piece that previous player just played.

The game is played using the ARROW KEYS to move the cursor and ENTER KEY to select a piece or location. You may press BACKSPACE to choose a different color piece to play. I have included a copy of the rules.

Hope you enjoy playing.

Donald

Attached File(s) Image(s)

.pdf  Dakapo Board Game Rules.pdf (Size: 432.52 KB / Downloads: 38)
.bas  Dakapo.bas (Size: 12.41 KB / Downloads: 41)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post
03-24-2015, 10:40 AM (This post was last modified: 03-24-2015 02:07 PM by Waltersmind.)
 (Print Post)
RE: Dakapo Board Game in QB64
Donald,

After a little research, I discovered that this is a fairly new game created back in 2013.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/147993/dakapo

I found the game really interesting and fun to play, but only after a little learning curve like any other strategy type game. Your rendition of the game is simple and enjoyable, and I was very impressed with the way you went about checking for a winner, especially since the four corners of the square could be rotated.

As always, very nicely done and I thank you for sharing your work on our forum so we can give people another avenue to discover it.

Walter Whitman
The Joyful Programmer
Please visit my YouTube channel at: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkkN3_B...c9a1MoUr1A

Please help support The Joyful Programmer and The QB64 Edition by visiting our online store provided by Amazon.com. We hand-picked books related to computer programming from Amazon.com and added them to our store. When you make a purchase from our store, we do receive a small commission from the sale. Visit our store at: http://www.thejoyfulprogrammer.com/qb64/...azon-store
Like Post
03-24-2015, 02:15 PM
 (Print Post)
I agree Walter that the game will be much easier found here. After a few months at QB64 forum, it will lost for all the newer posts coming in.

I do enjoy making the simple games. I'll have more games from nestergames coming. I acually found that some of their games are remakes of some old classic that has probably fallen into public domain.

I glad you enjoyed my game and I enjoy writing and sharing them. Just something to behind. LOL

Donald
Like Post
03-27-2015, 04:04 PM
 (Print Post)
WOW! Donald another Masterpiece! Smile

I really think it's time for you to Contact a Company about making a Windows Etc. DVD Where it would be possible to Run or Install your Games from a DVD Player! to a Hard Drive Etc.

I have a Good idea for the Name..."DONALDS GOOD OLD GAMES FROM THE PAST! BEFORE SHOOT 'EM UPS" Smile

Anthony.
Like Post
03-27-2015, 10:16 PM
 (Print Post)
Anthony,

That's a neat idea, but I think it might be as a download instead from a dvd. Thank you for the compliment, but my games are hardly masterpieces. I write them for fun. I only have a few hundred more to write. LOL

Donald
Like Post
03-28-2015, 07:11 PM
 (Print Post)
Walter and Anthony,

I have replaced the Dakapo.bas file with a updated version. You two and another downloaded the original file.

If you want, you can make the small change to your file. At the end of line 17 is a variable named Counter that is = to 0. The value needs to be changed to 4. Each time a piece is placed on the game board, Counter increases by 1. After the board is filled with 64 pieces there is no winner, then game ends in a draw. However, there are already 4 pieces on the board at the start of the game.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Donald
Like Post
03-28-2015, 08:49 PM
 (Print Post)
Donald,

Thank you for the update, and there was no inconvenience. People should be accustomed to software updates by now.

Again, really fun, and your demo allowed me to understand the game much better than I would had if I actually bought the board game.

Walter Whitman
The Joyful Programmer
Please visit my YouTube channel at: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkkN3_B...c9a1MoUr1A

Please help support The Joyful Programmer and The QB64 Edition by visiting our online store provided by Amazon.com. We hand-picked books related to computer programming from Amazon.com and added them to our store. When you make a purchase from our store, we do receive a small commission from the sale. Visit our store at: http://www.thejoyfulprogrammer.com/qb64/...azon-store
Like Post