You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
SIGN IN Join Our Community For FREE

In the Shadows of Dreams
05-20-2017, 04:18 PM (This post was last modified: 05-20-2017 04:20 PM by Waltersmind.)
 (Print Post)
In the Shadows of Dreams
I have always enjoyed trying my hand at writing, which is one main reason I write volumes on subjects, and i always loved reading them, especially folklore.

The following is a short story I wrote back in 2012 that was my first attempt at writing about darker subjects. I thought it would be cool to share it with the community.

In the Shadows of Dreams
by: Walter Whitman on Sunday, April 15, 2012 at 12:15pm

Oh, dear Mother! I had that daunting dream again last night. It is always the same nightmare, night after night, repeating like an old silent black & white horror film which constantly played down at the ole cinema like it was the only flick to ever exist. I have tried to understand it, but it doesn't make any sense to me. Is it a sign of that which is to come? Or, is it some feeble attempt to resurrect an old memory of an ancient crime I had once buried way deep in the realms well below my subconscious, in hopes it will never rear it's ugly head again? Mother, I have pondered both questions day after day, and I am losing my mind searching for the answers.

I no longer take thought of the necessities of nourishment, or the world outside my front door, as I am too busy staying lost in concentration over the moments in this dream. I have analyzed every frame of its existence, from beginning to end, and know I am missing something. I can feel it! For some strange and unknown reason, I am getting the sense that the real message is actually hidden either before the stored memories of the dream, in-between the frames like subliminal messages hidden in television broadcasts, or after the dream segment my brain has allowed me access to. I know the information is there in my neurons somewhere, but at the moment, I don't seem to have the proper authorization codes to unlock them. It is detrimental now for me to discover the truths locked away in my head, as I am weakening in health and in strength, and it feels almost to the point of no return. Mother, I am asking you for your guidance in this matter as it is in the utmost importance. I have no one else to turn to in this matter.

I am not sure you are interested in hearing my tales of this nightly drama, and so I shall give you a little synopsis of this endless journey. I dream I wake up to the loud sounds of a huge party going on in my backyard. I hear the people talking, screaming, and laughing, not making any sense. I then hear the loud, thunderous splashing as though someone did a high dive, belly buster, into my swimming pool which is only a few feet deep. I rushed out to see what all the commotion was about and froze instantly in fear at the ghastly sight! No one, I mean no one was there, but their sounds still echoed in my head as though they had not left. As I tried to come to my senses, and shake off the tingling sensation left by shock, it was then I realized there is something still floating stiffly in the pool. I tense up at the thought of what it could be, but I force myself to turn and look. The racing fear rushes over me like a massive waterfall, and I find myself running into the pool, trying to save the poor soul whom look as though they were patiently studying every inch of the bottom. I took a deep breath and slowly reached out to discover who it was that met their fate in my pool. When I flipped them over, I let out a loud gasp while nearly falling backwards into the pool tripping over my own feet. There was no face. No face! It was almost like looking at one those mannequins from the local department store, but without any features carved into it. I then woke up.

Well, I hear someone beating at the front door, so I will have to go see who it is. When I am done, I will write you about the experience.

Mother, it is the cops. They are saying that the neighbors are complaining about something in the backyard. I am walking outside with them to see what...

MOTHER! NO!!!!!

Another short story by: Walter W. Whitman
Copyright 2012, By: Walter W. Whitman
All Rights Reserved.

Please help support The Joyful Programmer and The QB64 Edition by visiting our online store provided by Amazon.com. We hand-picked books related to computer programming from Amazon.com and added them to our store. When you make a purchase from our store, we do receive a small commission from the sale. Visit our store at: http://www.thejoyfulprogrammer.com/qb64/...azon-store
Find all posts by this user
Like Post
The following 2 users Like Waltersmind's post:
Anthony.R.Brown, bplus
05-20-2017, 08:39 PM
 (Print Post)
RE: In the Shadows of Dreams
Hi Walter,

Love the new category, and the title of it's first entry... it sounds vaguely familiar?

In the Shadow of a Dream?

In the Shadow of Her Smile?

hmm.. well same thing?

Haven't got through story yet, keep getting interrupted. I am copy / pasting these into folders for reading  collections... if these stories keep appearing, no need to ever again go to library. I am not liking, I am loving it!

B += _
Like Post
05-21-2017, 01:32 AM
 (Print Post)
bplus,

I posted the story here, and hopefully future ones as well, for everyone to enjoy. Please feel free to download it, or print it out for your own personal use. I even give you permission to share it with whomever you want as long as people know who wrote it.

My writing skills are mundane and unprofessional, but I strive hard to do better. Though I was born here in the USA, and my only spoken language is English, I can not wrap my mind around all the rules of the language, as well as it full syntax. I craft code better than I do writing stories because I don't where nouns, adverbs, subjects, predicates, and all the other parts of a sentence are suppose to go. I know in English, I am suppose to say, "I am going to the store.", and not like Yoda on Star Wars or in Spanish where you would say something like, "The store I am going". When I write, I do so with what feels right to me. Plus I have my writing books, and he internet for my research.

Please help support The Joyful Programmer and The QB64 Edition by visiting our online store provided by Amazon.com. We hand-picked books related to computer programming from Amazon.com and added them to our store. When you make a purchase from our store, we do receive a small commission from the sale. Visit our store at: http://www.thejoyfulprogrammer.com/qb64/...azon-store
Like Post
The following 1 user Likes Waltersmind's post:
bplus
05-21-2017, 06:58 AM (This post was last modified: 05-21-2017 08:30 AM by bplus.)
 (Print Post)
Hi Walter,

How about a Twilight Zone revival? Remember the one that came after, Night Gallery?

Into that genre of shows, fitting well see I.

EDIT: Yoda correcting me, hear I.

B += _
Like Post
05-21-2017, 01:06 PM
 (Print Post)
bplus,

What do you have in mind? Give me some ideas and I will be delighted to create a category for such an event.

I can hear some of you asking, "Why will I do this?" Well, the simple answer is inspiration and creativity. Computer programming isn't just about writing code, it is about creating a digital realm of the world and universe around us. Rather it is pure mathematics to help discover new things, or telling stories for our entertainment. Everything we code comes from the real world. The more we expand our creativity and knowledge of everything around us, we can began to produce more great projects, rather it be for personal usage, or to make money commercially.

Video games, which I am a lover of playing and creating them, tell stories that send our minds to different realities. By telling short stories on this forum, we could inspire someone to create the next  #1 video game of the year. We never know where our next spark of inspiration will come from, and it usually comes in the most unlikely place. So my goal is to provide visitors and members of this community with as much inspiration as we can in hopes we will one day sparks someones imagination and get their creative juices flowing. That is what this site and forum is all about, and what I have been trying to achieve for years.

My goal is to bring more subjects to the table so we can view so many aspects of the world around us that could lead to a huge eureka moment for someone who visits.

Like Post
05-21-2017, 03:55 PM (This post was last modified: 05-21-2017 03:56 PM by bplus.)
 (Print Post)
Hi Walter,

What I had in mind was a revival of the those TV shows, they bring back everything else, King Kong, Batman,... Star Trek, Star Wars,... each new generation adds their signature to the classic.

We can have scripts ready for them when they Get Smart. Wink

Or maybe we can Bewitch their talent scouts! Wink

B += _
Like Post