You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
SIGN IN Join Our Community For FREE

the robot hypnotist
05-23-2017, 05:56 PM
 (Print Post)
RE: the robot hypnotist
sorry, youve out-sci-fied me. my turn to not get the references.

oh ive heard of most of this stuff, but i havent read/watched it. im glad youre having a good time.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post
05-24-2017, 07:23 AM (This post was last modified: 05-24-2017 07:42 AM by bplus.)
 (Print Post)
She was available at the library last night so I picked Her up and got to know Her.

She was sweet and laughed at all our jokes and memorized every word we said, now that is paying attention, who could not fall in love with such an entity, body or NOT.
PLus, she secretly compiled and setup a book deal based on our years of work as a professional letter writer (what an occupation that must be).

Afraid she was mostly fantasy and figment of Jonze imagination more than anything based in reality and computing and science (as in calling it science fiction, it is not).

Also the Alan Watts Operating System, ha! what a joke, just have some English narrator say from the Hitchhiker of the Galaxy, playing Her new bo, say hello to the new x bo and that's it onto Her next scene where she is not seen (well she is always that, I mean not heard from, inaccessible), all gone... yikes!

Alan Watts was a total and complete name dropping. Plop! and flush.

Where did Alan Spiegel pickup such a respected and maybe controversial name? Probably from his parents and or Artist types who hang out around San Fran.

Quote:
Alan Wilson Watts (6 January 1915 – 16 November 1973) was a British philosopher, writer, and speaker, best known as an interpreter and populariser of Eastern philosophy for a Western audience. Born in Chislehurst, England, he moved to the United States in 1938 and began Zen training in New York. Pursuing a career, he attended Seabury-Western Theological Seminary, where he received a master's degree in theology. Watts became an Episcopal priest in 1945, then left the ministry in 1950 and moved to California, where he joined the faculty of the American Academy of Asian Studies.
Watts gained a large following in the San Francisco Bay Area while working as a volunteer programmer at KPFA, a Pacifica Radio station in Berkeley. Watts wrote more than 25 books and articles on subjects important to Eastern and Western religion, introducing the then-burgeoning youth culture to The Way of Zen (1957), one of the first bestselling books on Buddhism. In Psychotherapy East and West (1961), Watts proposed that Buddhism could be thought of as a form of psychotherapy and not a religion. He considered Nature, Man and Woman (1958) to be, "from a literary point of view—the best book I have ever written."[2] He also explored human consciousness, in the essay "The New Alchemy" (1958), and in the book The Joyous Cosmology (1962).
Towards the end of his life, he divided his time between a houseboat in Sausalito and a cabin on Mount Tamalpais. Many of his books are now available in digital format and many of his recorded talks and lectures are available on the Internet. According to the critic Erik Davis, his "writings and recorded talks still shimmer with a profound and galvanizing lucidity."[3]
[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Watts#cite_note-3][/url]

Yep! There he is living in the San Fransisco Bay area in his houseboat but Spiegel was born in 1969 only a few years before Alan passed so near 0% chance they crossed paths but near 100% chance people Alan knew and respected highly respected the other Alan. So maybe Alan wanted to use that respect for Alan Watts in movie when dreaming up an Ultimate Hyperlinked OS.

Gotta say, putting those two ideas together like that is mind blowing! as a creative idea that stirs up the imagination like nothing I found in the the robot hypnotist (except maybe the double booting thing) or anywhere else for some time.

OH, psychotherapy, oh yeah that was ELIZA's role too, now I get it! An OS is supposed to help you get and keep your ship in shape.

B += _
Like Post
05-24-2017, 08:42 AM (This post was last modified: 05-24-2017 08:42 AM by figosdev.)
 (Print Post)
Quote:
as a creative idea that stirs up the imagination like nothing I found in the the robot hypnotist

well yeah, its not meant to be riveting fiction, just a metaphor to help people that never got into programming.
Like Post
The following 1 user Likes figosdev's post:
bplus
05-24-2017, 02:52 PM
 (Print Post)
Hi figosdev

Quote:
well yeah, its not meant to be riveting fiction, just a metaphor to help people that never got into programming.
Ah, fig,

I should have figured you'd find the one tiny little needle in my gigantic romp in the hay with Her!

Before THAT, I confess I was blocked reading the robot hypnotist. It did look exactly like more Linux propaganda to me, another smearing of the glass, like the glass can't get dirty enough all by itself. Yeah, just rub it in, I love it.

And then all the child lessons about loops and conditionals blah, blah,... very good jokes and puns though cudos there!

The odd thing was I couldn't read through it, I thought Will was with me but Will NOT was stronger. Will NOT being on the dark side takes a therapist to access. Her OS1

Oh this superscript is stuck

B += _
Like Post
05-24-2017, 03:01 PM
 (Print Post)
no its alright, when you get around to saying something that i want to hear, at least this thread will give some evidence that you actually mean it.
Like Post
05-24-2017, 04:22 PM
 (Print Post)
Hi figosdev,

Maybe you would like to hear about the idea I got at JB to plug...

dang! do I call it Linux? or do I call it GNU? or do I call it some flavor of choice like Mint?

... to plug in one of the above (that works terminology wise) into a USB port and I assume be instantly working in (one of the above that works terminology wise) instead of Windows, hence no need to divide (and conquer?) my hard drive.

B += _
Like Post
05-24-2017, 10:59 PM (This post was last modified: 05-25-2017 01:50 PM by figosdev.)
 (Print Post)
what are the specs of the machine youre going to do this with?

especially the cpu and ram-- and feel free to be a little vague.

your wifi may work, or not work. this is a classic decision for seasoned users, what to do about it if it doesnt work (there are options)

to answer your question: gnu is the name of the operating system that started more or less in 1984, which provides not only what youd expect from dos in terms of utilities, but also the gcc compiler needed to compile everything. there is an os kernel for gnu, but since the 90s people have used the linux kernel that started in 1991.

the reason for the history lesson is that practically everyone calls the whole thing "linux" now, and too many people seem to think that linus torvalds started the whole thing. personally i think this is a bit sellout, but a lot of people find gnu/linux too awkward. the operating system is called gnu, but people incorrectly call it linux and give torvalds too much credit. i have come to trust people more when they mention "gnu" somewhere, but youll call it what you call it. i certainly dont expect you to say "gnu/linux" all the time, though i generally call it that. id be just as happy to call it gnu-- thats "gah-noo" unlike the animal and it stands for "gnus not unix."
Like Post
05-25-2017, 12:36 PM (This post was last modified: 05-25-2017 12:40 PM by bplus.)
 (Print Post)
Hi figosdev,

Ah, an idea you do want to hear more about.

My CPU? 1. something
My RAM? dang forgot number, so big, I am currently using only faction of space available, maybe 4/25 is 39 GB.

Upon further thought, maybe partition idea more efficient way to get GNU/Linux going.

It's funny with idea of USB drive considered, (in for a penny)
then it is easier to consider sharing hard drive, (in for a pound).

Should you start a new thread "How to install GNU/Linux with Windows 10 OS System in place"

B += _
Like Post
05-25-2017, 01:39 PM
 (Print Post)
i do not recommend trying to install gnu/linux if you have windows 10 in place.

i do recommend removing (at least disconnecting) your hard drive and putting another drive in and installing on that.

or using usb (or in your case, writing a dvd first. for windows users, writing iso -> dvd is much easier than iso -> usb.)

there are options, yes, but for starting out? dvd is more likely to work the first try. its easy to find and use windows software that writes bootable iso files.

i recommend dual booting with xp, 2k, vista, 7, but not 8 or later. the hardware may get in your way. its not worth it. i also strongly recommend installing to a second laptop, for users new to the os. its simply the best way, if possible. its not the only way (there are tonnes.)
Like Post
05-25-2017, 02:11 PM
 (Print Post)
Quote:
i do not recommend trying to install gnu/linux if you have windows 10 in place.
hmm may i ask why not?
what is so problematic?
from my experience there is no any difference.
simply if you already have installed windows on your hdd use
one of free programs for windows for creating new partition
if you dont know how to work with GParted (excellent linux program for partitions)
Let say create first 10GB empty space from windows program
for example if you have on windows
C:\ - D:\ make this place on last partition
Then use your cd/dvd with linux iso and run cd booting it from cd rom(set bios to boot from cd rom)
or if from usb if you have iso on usb.
folow instruction and that is ...

basicPro forum:
http://basicpro.mipropia.com/smf/index.php
EU Radioboard forum:
http://euradioboard.createmybb3.com/index.php
AurelSoft main site:
http://aurelsoft.ucoz.com
Like Post