You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
SIGN IN Join Our Community For FREE

Barista Simulator
06-01-2017, 09:54 AM
 (Print Post)
RE: Barista Simulator
Hi Johnno,

After 4 cups of joe, I have quite a java to expresso. I also found the bean and all the correct settings to be called a wizard! Nice coffee colors and very amusing opening screen!

B += _
Find all posts by this user
Like Post
06-01-2017, 10:41 AM
 (Print Post)
Yeah. Not the hardest game to play... Basically (no pun intended) made just to see if it could be done.

Figured a little humour might 'break up' the plain text look.

As a side question, how do you personally, go about choosing and developing games? I know, too broad of a subject. Just trying to figure out what to do next. Particularly difficult not knowing all the ins and outs of QB64. I still have difficulty with inspiration using sdlbasic and I've been using that for years...

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy using sdlbasic, it's just the site is not as active as it used to be... QB64 seems to have a larger membership with a diversity of forums...

A forum dedicated to 'The Basics', intermediate and advanced QB64 programming would be helpful. I need all the inspiration I can get... lol

On THIS side of the planet, it's just gone 12:30 in the morning. Got to be up in 6 hours. We have our traditional, Friday pre-work coffee, at about 6:30am. I figured it would be a good idea NOT to fall asleep on my raisin toast... lol

Goodnight.

J

May your journey be free of incident.

Live long and prosper.
Like Post
06-01-2017, 12:13 PM
 (Print Post)
Johnno56,

Now that is a question I have been waiting for, for a very long time.

For me, games fall into two categories: Games that allow the player to experience a story, or those that provide a specific challenge like Chess, Monopoly, Snakes & Ladders, Tetris, Qbert, and so forth. You can find tons of the second category of games here on this forum at http://www.thejoyfulprogrammer.com/qb64/...hp?fid=445.

I am personally more about the first type of category. You can see a game that David Taylor and I created together on this forum at http://www.thejoyfulprogrammer.com/qb64/...hp?tid=461. It is a text adventure game where you play a zombie.

For me, I always decide what kind of story do I want to tell at the moment. I determine what tools I want to use (QB64, C++, Monkey X, etc...) to create the game, what platforms I want to build it for, and what type of game it will be (side-scroller, top-down view, 3D, etc...). Then I begin to create my story, characters, objects used in the game/story, and all other details. Afterwards, I start with the main menu for the game. I will also at this point start creating the graphics and finding the music and sound effects I wish to use in the game. Usually you will have to pay someone for those if you can not compse them yourself. If I want the game to be professional, then I would hire a graphic artist to do my graphics.

There is a lot involved in making video games, which is why companies spend hundred of millions of dollars (US) to create the latest one you get at the store. Sometimes there can be between 100 to 300 people working on a game at a single time. For example, the Witcher 3 game took 1,740 people around the world to create, it cost around $85 million dollars (US), and it took over three years to make.

While these are numbers we can not relate to ourselves, do not let that get you down, because you can still create great games by yourself. However, please be aware that creating games isn't something that can be done overnight. It can take months to years to create a game, depending on how far you are willling to go with the technologies (sound, graphics, game engine, physics, etc...).

I hope this helps a little.

Please help support The Joyful Programmer and The QB64 Edition by visiting our online store provided by Amazon.com. We hand-picked books related to computer programming from Amazon.com and added them to our store. When you make a purchase from our store, we do receive a small commission from the sale. Visit our store at: http://www.thejoyfulprogrammer.com/qb64/...azon-store
Like Post
06-01-2017, 06:22 PM
 (Print Post)
Many thanks for all the information. Much appreciated.

I realize that 'game making' is a HUGE subject, and cannot possibly be covered in one posting, but I want to thank you for the information that you have provided.

The games I enjoy: Hmm... Let's see. When I was a kid there were no computers (except those used by businesses) No game consoles (Atari etc). We either had board games or played outside.

I built my first computer (1K ram - hex keypad - cassette interface) before 1980. It took about 45 minutes to program a simple pong game. But, when I acquired a cassette tape recorder, program once and save. "Built" as in circuit board; components; soldering iron; band aides etc. A 16K kit was my next project. Text only and functioned quite well... until my wife was dusting and the duster got caught up in the motherboard components; flick of the wrist; computed landed on the floor; components went in all directions; motherboard cracked; RIP computer... *sob*

I have always enjoyed '8 bit' games; When Pentium computers appeared - Doom type games. But the best games were text adventures. Although they were text-based, they employed the best graphics engine available, the imagination. Some were huge (colossal cave; Zork etc). Some where funny. (Not text - But Monkey Island was funny). Some where crud. But I had always want to know how and to create a text adventure. Knowledge, or the lack of it, and a descent machine and lack of inspiration, would be the main driving force for many years, for not taking up the idea.

I have looked at utilities like Inform etc, which are relative easy to use - after a learning curve, but lacked the appeal of the old 'text only' games. "Why not a basic version?", I would ask myself. Cool idea but not a lot of information as to how to do it.

Mid to late 80's, I purchaced my second computer (Amstrad CPC464), and one of the books I acquired had an adventure game creator program! The game is first setup by answering questions, like the number of rooms etc, and when done, save the information, and play it... Very cool.  This was written in Locomotive Basic... Line numbers... Goto's... Yikes. When the machine died, the book, was relegated to 'old book' box in storage...

The program, menu driven, worked well and played well. The poor machine only had 64K or ram, and after the machine had taken its slice of the pie, left the user with only 43K of ram. All objects and room descriptions had to be kept to a minimum and as a result, limited the depth of 'atmosphere' for the game... Yes. I realize now that the 'rooms' could have been stored 'outside' the game, but at the time, I didn't know how... lol

SDLBasic rolls out in about 2007 (?) and figured, "Why not?", so I searched for the book and found it. As I am coding away, I come across many 'goto's', and realized 'Why not?'. Back in the box.

QB64... Has 'goto'... The search begins...

J

Live long and prosper.
Like Post
06-02-2017, 12:13 AM (This post was last modified: 06-02-2017 12:35 AM by Waltersmind.)
 (Print Post)
johnno56,

I am full of information when it comes to video games. That is why I got into computer back in the early 80's.

Anyway, speaking of 8-Bit, I have a Pinterest board with over 1,400 pixel art images to look at. That will give you great inspiration.

You can visit my pixel-art board (no, I did not make any of these, I saved them from other Pinterest boards): https://www.pinterest.com/waltersmind/pixel-art/.

Here is a screenshot:

Cool history there. Oh the memories.

My first computer was a Timex Sinclair ZX81 with 1K of memory. No storage device.

By Evan-Amos - Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.ph...d=18300824

My second one was a Texas Instruments TI-99/4A.

By User Yiddophile on en.wikipedia - This file was derived from  1979 TI-99-4 with Speech Synthesizer, RF modulator, keyboard overlays.jpg:, GFDL, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.ph...d=49385957

Then I got a Color Computer 3

By Lamune (Talk) - Copyed from English Wikipedia Tandycoco3.jpg, Copyrighted free use, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=460965

a Lazer Apple ][c clone with 128K.

By Ebenjamim - Own work, Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=2254006

Afterwards, I got into the IBM clones. However, I programmed on the Commodore 64's and 128's as well as the original Apple ][e and Apple ][c machines. I discovered machine language in the mid 80's on the Apple ][e and Apple ][c and fell in love with it.

Image from: http://mysite.du.edu/~etuttle/math/apple.htm

You mentioned text adventures... Well, a buddy of mine, David Taylor has posted over 50 of them on this forum, and all written in QB64. They have the source code so you could examine how he done it. However, I tried to get him to do things a little differently in the code, but he wanted to create the games as fast as possible, and my method, though better and more compact, would had slowed him down. You can find his text adventure games here at http://www.thejoyfulprogrammer.com/qb64/...hp?fid=457

Matter of fact, the text adventure game, "Zombie Adventures" was one of those quick games he created, but I decided to modify it a lot by adding graphics, sound, animations, a menu, a save & load feature, and some other cool things. I even added (wrote) a lot more to his story, and added a 4-level comprehension system since you are playing a zombie. If your health gets low, the descriptions get shorter and less comprehensible. You can check it out at http://www.thejoyfulprogrammer.com/qb64/...hp?tid=461

Please help support The Joyful Programmer and The QB64 Edition by visiting our online store provided by Amazon.com. We hand-picked books related to computer programming from Amazon.com and added them to our store. When you make a purchase from our store, we do receive a small commission from the sale. Visit our store at: http://www.thejoyfulprogrammer.com/qb64/...azon-store
Like Post
06-02-2017, 08:48 AM (This post was last modified: 06-02-2017 08:54 AM by johnno56.)
 (Print Post)
Cool. Another source for game assets. Great job. Most impressed. When I'm 'in a hurry' I will source graphics, but the simple types, I will throw together on Gimp. Gimp has some really cool space tutorials - Static starfields, planets (not for the faint of heart - quite lengthy - I have it if you want it - I will post the one I did a couple of years ago.. enough of the shameless plugs... lol

Some of those machines bring back memories... It was amazing what you could do with 1 to 8K of ram in those days... As I mentioned before, the first one I built was a kit from Electronics Australia magazine... (1K ram) then another kit - Super 80 (16K ram) - then my first colour machine a VZ200 (8K ram + 16K ram expansion pack). In about 1984 I got an Amstrad CPC464 (colour with 64K ram with a built in cassette recorder...)

(That's not me... lol)

In 1986 I worked for Yellow Pages as a Mainframe Computer Operator for almost 15 years. During that time, every PC that I had, were machines that YP were getting rid of. Not tax effective to keep them for very long...

Got to get to bed (10:50pm) as we have our 6am food market shopping in the morning.

Again, thanks for all the graphics info. I will be sure to check out those adventure games...

Goodnight.

J

Live long and prosper.
Like Post