You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
SIGN IN Join Our Community For FREE

Why Most Forums Fail Within First Year of Their Existence
05-28-2017, 05:42 AM (This post was last modified: 05-30-2017 06:11 PM by Anthony.R.Brown.)
 (Print Post)
Why Most Forums Fail Within First Year of Their Existence
https://forums.digitalpoint.com/threads/...ce.323741/
Find all posts by this user
Like Post
The following 2 users Like Anthony.R.Brown's post:
bplus, figosdev
05-28-2017, 06:45 AM (This post was last modified: 05-28-2017 06:49 AM by figosdev.)
 (Print Post)
RE: Why most forums fail within first year of their existence
interesting article, though most of it seems like common sense. the note about private forums is interesting.

i find most of it irrelevant because it doesnt apply directly-- most of the things you could say about this forum differ from the points in that article one way or another.

the part about ads i will comment on, and then another point to make about forums in general.

most forums fail, period. the only reason they ever continue is that a few people latch on to them and dont leave. ive watched n54 for more than 12 years, and the only reason it continues is that people dont leave. also you dont have to register to post, which is interesting and quite rare these days, even though most people can set up their forum that way. dealing with spam becomes an interesting challenge then.

post-facebook and other social media, most forums seem nearly dead, even as a form of communication. im very glad some are still around, as i prefer them.

i wouldnt tolerate any other forum other than this one with the amount of ads i think walt intends.

i hope he doesnt feel a need to defend it, because i believe his primary motiviation is to make it so the forum doesnt drain him financially, and i (very sincerely) doubt he will make enough profit from them for anyone to think this is about him making money, even if he says it is.

if covering the costs of the forum means ads, im not going to complain. i like the forum, im glad its here, and i wouldnt be able to afford to run a forum without ads either.

and i really hope walt doesnt feel any need at all to come defend any of it-- if people are happy to post here, thats what counts. if theyre not, what he says wouldnt change much. and im very happy to post here, and i hope other people are, too.
Like Post
05-28-2017, 07:26 AM (This post was last modified: 05-28-2017 07:35 AM by Anthony.R.Brown.)
 (Print Post)
I think below will raise a few Eyebrows!  Wink

To get back at another forum: This seems to be one of the primary reasons why one sees new forums sprouting up almost every day. Most often than not rogue members of a particularly large or moderately successful forum might become unhappy/distressed with the forum administrator or their policy and decide to break away and start their own forum. Most often than not, forums like these don’t survive long and fail miserably.

Why?

Anthony.
Like Post
05-28-2017, 07:36 AM (This post was last modified: 05-28-2017 07:43 AM by figosdev.)
 (Print Post)
right, but that part of the article could easily be post hoc.

i figure that dissatisfaction with an existing forum is the #1 reason new forums are created, and i doubt most forums last more than a year. the proof of a causal relationship isnt there, however.

another reason forums start is because the old forum is experiencing technical issues or is down sometimes, which is the official story about how this one started. but even if it started because galleon and walt got in a big argument, it doesnt matter-- you and walt have posted here for 35 months now! wheres the article on rejuvenating a forum as old as this one?

to answer your question: why: because they fail to engage the interest of the community they split off from (only partially applicable in this case, and not necessarily in a bad way either) and also because the new admin loses interest in whatever they had to prove.

walts interest in whatever hes most interested in seems like its got a ways to go, which brings me back to the age of this forum being well over 1 year. im watching the work going into the new forum-- this isnt the profile of someone who does a one-off forum for a few months and then realizes no ones interested. your article is from an entire decade ago-- any forum that still has mutiple people posting (daily even) in 2017 has potential. thats a metric adjusted for modern forum use.
Like Post
The following 1 user Likes figosdev's post:
Anthony.R.Brown
05-28-2017, 10:48 AM (This post was last modified: 05-28-2017 10:49 AM by bplus.)
 (Print Post)
So what is facebook advantage? Why is it sucking forums dry? ( I am behind the times most of time.)

B += _
Like Post
05-28-2017, 11:00 AM
 (Print Post)
ahh forums..forums
first facebook..i never liked that thing simply because this form of com
network is not for programmers...
ahh so many good forums gone,or abandoned simply because of lack of interest.
yes in some cases admins play main role,sometimes is hosting company
sometimes simply someone hack site etc..etc
sometimes is forum specific rules ..
forum (in general) continue to live if people (members) have similar interest
just look at the retroB forum ,is this forum proper replacement for
bp.org ..of course not,do you see any recent post where someone post
example or something that you may see that 10 members reply ..no
there is no common interest even i can say that old bp.org have that in the past
yes maybe 7-8 years ago but that was different times.
Almost all programming forums are in recession ,or people jut get tired of all this.

basicPro forum:
http://basicpro.mipropia.com/smf/index.php
EU Radioboard forum:
http://euradioboard.createmybb3.com/index.php
AurelSoft main site:
http://aurelsoft.ucoz.com
Like Post
05-28-2017, 12:43 PM
 (Print Post)
WOW
100 post by me !
when we talk about forums i just changed logo on my smf board

Attached File(s) Image(s)

basicPro forum:
http://basicpro.mipropia.com/smf/index.php
EU Radioboard forum:
http://euradioboard.createmybb3.com/index.php
AurelSoft main site:
http://aurelsoft.ucoz.com
Like Post
05-28-2017, 02:12 PM
 (Print Post)
Congrats Aurel,

The new logo is beautiful but I am surprised what part of the globe is showing. Wink

B += _
Like Post
05-28-2017, 03:39 PM
 (Print Post)
Anthony,

That was a very good article indeed. Very informative indeed.

Fig was right about the private forum being an interesting topic, and I have always wondered how well that would go over. In my tests on this forum (yes, I have some private areas on here), I discovered that these hidden areas are only good when you have a group of members whom are working with the admin on private projects. Once the project is done, or the interest has waned, then those secret areas die a sudden and quick death. I believe it is better to keep the entire forum public for all to see, unless you have specific reason why to keep some private.

The subject of Google ads is something that we could fill up many pages with discussions, and they are a two-edge sword. A Yin-Yang of sorts. Good-Evil. But for the education of those who read these posts, I will give some insight into them being used on this forum. Fig, this is in no way, shape, or form a defense of Google ads on this site, but an education. A kinda behind-the-scenes look into having them. Maybe this information will help others in their forums and websites.

We all love to make money. Well... most of us who depend on it to continue doing the things we enjoy doing. The idea of making money from advertisements on a site is an exciting prospect in the beginning, but as I learned before I added them here when I started this forum, you will not get rich quick by adding them, nor will you make any real money unless your site is is bringing in 500,000 unique visitors a month. Google say you won't be seeing any good money until you hit 1,000 unique visitors a day. I have had one day out of all the days that this forum is has been online that I hit over 1,000 unique visitors (at the time if this writing) in a single day, and that was on Tuesday, May 16th, 2017. This month alone and at this moment this site has seen 5,470 unique visitors, which gives us roughly 158 unique visitors a day. To make any real money, I would need to have between 10 to 100 times the amount of unique visitors on this site.

From June 20th, 2014 to today, May 28th, 2017 (1,069 days), I have only made $56.13 (US). That is an average of a little over $0.05 (US) a day. So making money is not the primary goal of this site, but it is nice and all is welcome.

This site does cost me money to run and operate, as well as a huge amount of time. I pay $50.00 (US) every three months for web hosting, plus $14.99 (US) a year for the domain name. So I pay $215.00 (US) a year to run and maintain this site, not including my time. Yes, there is cheaper webhosting out there, but so far, none of them give me the tools and freedom I have with www.PowWeb.com. At $215.00 a year, I am paying nearly $0.59 a day to keep to keep this forum going, and the $0.05 a day I am making with Google ads is no where near enough to compensate me for what I spend out, or for me to have any spending money.

Why do I spend so much money to maintain this site, and why am I spending my time trying to make things better here (like the new forum I am working on to replace this one)? The answer is simple. Computer Programming is a huge passion for me, and it makes me feel alive when I can create cool things with it. It really challenges my brain and is very rewarding. Also, I have always wanted a good place to share my excitements and passions, as well as socialize with others in this industry.

So far, I have had a lot of fun on this site, and I have worked hard at trying to make it better for all of us. Also, I want this forum to be a place where you can find a ton of great projects and samples that visitors can play with, learn from, and/or use in their own projects. Also, I want this to be a place of education, where we all can not only learn from, but can teach others. That is the main reason I became an affiliate with Amazon.com and created an online store with them. With it, I can provide a lot of good and essential reading materials that could help people learn to craft their skills in specific areas.

Fig mentioned the amount of ads I have on here. At the time of this writing, I only have three ads on this forum. I had more at one point, but I quickly removed them as I realized they could not benefit this community. I do not plan on adding any more than three ads on this forum, and those three ads will continue to be from Google. however, I will be promoting my Amazon online store and the books with in it, as these are extremely valuable assets to the community.

If I am not making much money with Google ads, why keep them? Well, I can tell you it is not for the hope of making a bunch of money from them eventually. Well, at least not just from this site alone. Oh, that is another secret. If your goal is to make a living with Google ads, then you will need many sites and forums, but that is a topic for another discussion. While I make pocket change with the ads, my real goal is to start producing real YouTube videos that I can monetize and make money with. Since Google owns YouTube now, you have to have a Google Adsense account to get paid from your videos, which is also how you get paid for the Google ads.

On of the things I want to do when I get the new forum going is start producing videos of the various projects shared on this site, as well as discussion videos.

This forum was created when QB64.net went down for two weeks back in 2014, and some of us needed a place to continue our socializing and sharing. When QB64.net came back online, I was about to close it down and hit the delete button, but decided to leave it online to see where it goes. Plus, it gave me another place to share my projects. However, the biggest reason to keeping it going was to give some members a place to go when things got heated over at QB64.net, which always went on. I will not bring up the past, but I believed at the time, and still do, that if you give people a decent place to go without all the negativity and arguments, then they can truly shine and provide the community with great things. I have to say this was proven correct to me over the years, and I am glad I didn't shut this place down.

Quote:
walts interest in whatever hes most interested in seems like its got a ways to go...

Fig, you are so correct. In the three years of having this forum, I have yet shown what I am most interested in. Sometimes I know what that is, and sometimes I don't due to various other projects, issues in real life, and... Eh... I will stop right there on that topic. Anyway, my greatest interest in computer programming has always been creating 2D games, from RPG's to educational games.

I may accomplish that in about ten years or so, depending on what I can get done.

Quote:
im watching the work going into the new forum--

I appreciate all the tips you have given me about the new forum Fig, and if anyone else is interested in stopping by to see my work-in-progress, then you can see it at http://www.TheJoyfulProgrammer.com/qb642/forum/. Anyone is welcome to stop by, sign up, and share your thoughts about the new place. Please remember, that all accounts created there may be lost when I transfer everyone over from this forum to the new one. I will let people know more about it when I get to that point.

Quote:
ahh so many good forums gone,or abandoned simply because of lack of interest.

While I have a passion for computer programming, I was loosing interest in QB64 a good bit myself. It isn't the only language I program in, and I felt it was becoming a hindrance for me and this site. So, to boost the interest level up on this forum, I added more sub-categories and forums for many other programming languages. With the rise in visitors and members, as well as the increase of traffic, I realize I made a good decision in doing so.

Please help support The Joyful Programmer and The QB64 Edition by visiting our online store provided by Amazon.com. We hand-picked books related to computer programming from Amazon.com and added them to our store. When you make a purchase from our store, we do receive a small commission from the sale. Visit our store at: http://www.thejoyfulprogrammer.com/qb64/...azon-store
Like Post
The following 1 user Likes Waltersmind's post:
figosdev