You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
SIGN IN Join Our Community For FREE

Steve's All Purpose Program, Yo!
06-07-2017, 03:55 AM
 (Print Post)
Steve's All Purpose Program, Yo!
Take the following, compile and run in QB64:

Code Snippet: [Select]
SHELL _DONTWAIT "Explorer ,"
SYSTEM

This will generate an all purpose graphical environment (Windows executable only), which will astound you with all the possible programs and commands which you can use under it.  BASIC, C, Pascal, Fortran, Cobol, Java, and countless other languages can be adapted with a small, and easily found download and install package, for use with this amazing program!

What's even more amazing is the fact that you can watch videos, write emails, surf the web, listen to music, read books, and play thousands of games with this one little snippet of code!!  

And, FOR A LIMITED TIME ONLY, you too can have and use this program for the low, low price of a one time payment of $99.99, payable directly to Steve!  

Don't let this opportunity pass you by!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post
06-07-2017, 07:25 AM
 (Print Post)
RE: Steve's All Purpose Program, Yo!
For such a programs I would like to say:
Thanks ! BUT No
Not because of 99.99$ just because i prefer to use specific
program for specific task.

basicPro forum:
http://basicpro.mipropia.com/smf/index.php
EU Radioboard forum:
http://euradioboard.createmybb3.com/index.php
AurelSoft main site:
http://aurelsoft.ucoz.com
Like Post
06-07-2017, 09:52 AM (This post was last modified: 06-07-2017 09:54 AM by figosdev.)
 (Print Post)
the only problem with this entry is it crashes all the time. it doesnt meet the licensing requirement either. (im not talking about the calls to non-free components, im talking about the program itself.)

in all seriousness i was hoping steve would enter the contest, but i was more interested in his redneck programming language (being funny doesnt disqualify an entry.) im trying to find the post where he talks about it (the problem is, i dont know which forum it was-- this one? qb64? n54?) but he doesnt seem too interested. thats alright, but i was hoping for it all the same. i presume i will go right on hoping, thats alright too. either way guys, steves done cooler stuff than this one.

by the way, ive already topped this with a program that creates random entries and runs them-- not only can it run explorer, but 3rd party file managers, cross-platform shells, bash / python / perl, mac os/x finder windows-- its like a more universal version of steves program. not that it qualifies, of course. it can even run steves program, if you compile it first.
Like Post
06-07-2017, 10:39 AM
 (Print Post)
Redneck programming language ???

what is that ?
..and who is Steve?

basicPro forum:
EU Radioboard forum:
AurelSoft main site:
Like Post
06-07-2017, 10:53 AM (This post was last modified: 06-07-2017 10:55 AM by figosdev.)
 (Print Post)
steve is one of the authors of qb64. he also wrote a redneck programming language for fun where to code you give it commands that sound like things a ahem "redneck farmer" might udder (i mean utter.)

(steve is a farmer, im still not convinced hes a redneck.)

i would have loved that for this competition, for the record. i dont know if it was more than 100 loc but it shouldnt be too difficult to get to a 100 loc version.

im pretty sure that most of the people from qb64 think this is a joke and wont submit a serious entry-- thats alright, i wasnt expecting a serious entry from there-- not that they arent up to it (some of them including steve, very clearly are) but i wasnt counting on any interest. i thought it would be shabby to not let them know about it when ive already told people on other forums. id tell the people at n54 but other than michael i dont think anyone thats there is likely to be interested. and michael never has the time.

im not counting on steve either, but the fun thing about steve is hes not predictable. sometimes, sure. ultimately, no. so its not entirely ridiculous to hope for the best-- even if it is a little.
Like Post
06-07-2017, 01:56 PM
 (Print Post)
Redneck BASIC was a cute little version of BASIC which I had fun playing around with and inventing about a dozen years or so ago.  At one time, I'd shared it over at the QB64 forums, but I think it was in the General Discussion forums as it wasn't QBASIC related, and Galleon ended up removing those from the site.  I'll check my archives of my drives and see if I can find it and share it again, if anybody's interested in the project.  It was much longer than 100 lines -- closer to 100,000 than 100, I'd imagine -- but it was fun to play around with and create, back in the day.  With it, you could write programs like:

Hollar Hello World.
Tellme Yo Name;youdude.
Hollar Howdy, youdude.
Tellme A numbah;numone.
Tellme Nutter numbah;numtwo.
Hollar When I'ze adz dem numbahs, I gitz ;numone + numtwo.

Which translated to BASIC would look loosely like:

PRINT "Hello World"
INPUT "Yo Name "; youdude$
PRINT "Howdy, "; youdude$
INPUT "A numbah "; one
INPUT "Nutter numbah "; two
PRINT "When I'ze adz dem numbahs, I gitz "; one + two

It started, at first, as a joke language which I was just using to have fun with, for those people who like to think, "Farmers can't program; they're too stupid."  After a bit though, it became more and more of a challenge to see what all I could add to the language while keeping the "Redneck Syntax", and the project grew and grew.  Eventually it incorporated various graphic screens (only 256 color at the time, which is higher than most rednecks can count anyway), used mouse commands, and even had joystick support.

Looking back on it, I wonder now why I gave the project up.  I think my life had just gotten too hectic at the time to focus on it with marriage, and a kid, and trying to take over management of the farm and all when my parents passed ownership of it down to me, for me to have time or interest in continuing it.  Redneck BASIC ended up getting zipped up and archived and stored on one of the thousands of CDs or countless folders I have on the various drives connected to my computer.  I'll have to look into finding it and sharing it again sometime, just to remember and enjoy the past, even if for no other reason.  Big Grin

Some of the syntax rules I remember was:

Periods were similar to BASIC colons, or C semicolons, and used for end of line/command markers.  Rednecks don't use no periods in punch-you-nations!

Variables defaulted to string types, unless preceded by "num".  numone would be LONG by default.

If we wanted decimal numbers, we had to define them first with MAKE.  "MAKE numone, numtwo, numthree BE FANCY"  -- make them DOUBLE precision.  "MAKE numfour, numfive, numsix BE GOOD" -- made them INTEGER.  "MAKE...  BE SIMPLE" -- was _BYTE.

HOWBOUT translated to be similar to TYPE:  "HOWBOUT fancypancy HAVE name, age BE SIMPLE, sex." -- would translate to be similar to:
TYPE fancypancy
    name AS STRING
    age AS _BYTE
    sex AS STRING
END TYPE

Then we'd just "MAKE myvariable BE fancypancy."

CR/LF characters were entirely optional, as the period was the end-of-line delimiter.  Code could be happily crunched up to look like:

Hollar Hello World. Tellme Yo Name;youdude. Hollar Howdy, youdude. Tellme A numbah;numone. Tellme Nutter numbah;numtwo. Hollar When I'ze adz dem numbahs, I gitz ;numone + numtwo.

All in all, it was a fun little learning experience, which taught me a whole lot about programming in general.  Honestly, I recommend that everyone have fun and take time time making a translator language sometime.  Redneck BASIC taught me more about programming languages in general, than I think anything else ever did in my life.  Big Grin
Like Post
The following 2 users Like SMcNeill's post:
Aurel, figosdev
06-07-2017, 03:28 PM
 (Print Post)
Quote:
Honestly, I recommend that everyone have fun and take time time making a translator language sometime. Redneck BASIC taught me more about programming languages in general, than I think anything else ever did in my life. Big Grin

couldnt have said it better myself, not even in 100 loc (lines of chatting.)
Like Post
06-11-2017, 12:57 PM
 (Print Post)
im pretty sure that most of the people from qb64 think this is a joke
and wont submit a serious entry-- thats alright,
: why should be alright?
:serious or not should be interesting,,fun ..right?
or they think ....something something about you

by the way
thanks McNeill on explanation!

basicPro forum:
EU Radioboard forum:
AurelSoft main site:
Like Post
06-11-2017, 01:17 PM (This post was last modified: 06-11-2017 01:18 PM by STxAxTIC.)
 (Print Post)
You're basically right Aurel - Steve obviously made this program look and act like a joke. But reading more carefully, and having traced through similar problems myself, the nuts and bolts in this kind of project are usually nontrivial, and leads to a good learning experience.

Speaking of that, and I asked this before - aren't you the same Aurel that had the rubendev project? Refresh my memory. Do you still maintain that project I'm trying to mention, or have you moved on to another language endeavor?

Regardless, have you solved the problem of creating recursive functions yet? I think you were struggling with that.
Like Post
06-11-2017, 03:15 PM
 (Print Post)
Hi Static - i hate all this X in your nickname
------------------------------------------------
First i don't talk about Steve 'redneck language' than about
figOsdev posting on qb64 forum about 100 LOC PL contest
Second i dont say that this redneck is trivial but syntax looks to me awkward.

Yes RubenDev is my project currently on hold because i am not happy with a
speed of execution - it is semi-tokenized interpreter
and yes i have something different /let say in process/
and i am trying to avoid bytecode generation with different parsing methods.

ahh recursive calls,no recursive calls i have in my old AurelBasic
but i need to add them into project called TOY bytecode interpreter
which is not my work than project of EdDavis( this is just nickname - not name of real person)
i made GUI part of that lang but then one troublemaker called ( self-promoted co-author
of FBSL jump into developement telling how o2 translation is his work and that he want creadit
for that ,and i dissagree and we stoped.
In fact TOY was very very fast bytecode interpreter ,faster than qb64

basicPro forum:
EU Radioboard forum:
AurelSoft main site:
Like Post