You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
SIGN IN Join Our Community For FREE

Monkey X has been discontinued
07-21-2017, 02:24 AM
 (Print Post)
Monkey X has been discontinued
It is with a sadden heart they tell the community that Monkey X has been discontinued. In a post written on Facebook by Mark Sibley, owner of Blitz Research and created of Monkey X, BlitzBASIC, BlitzPro, and BlitzMax, it stated "in order to concentrate more fully on monkey2, I have decided to downsize Blitz Research operations."

Here is a screenshot of the FaceBook post:

You can read it live at https://www.facebook.com/BlitzResearchLt...6319179316

While Mark Sibley will no longer continue support for Monkey X, you can still download it on itch.io and pay what you want for it. The starting price is $20.00, and if you are interested in creating great 2D games, that value is well worth it. Mark can feed his family, and you will feel like you helped a fellow developer out.

Here is the screenshot of the download page:

You can visit this page at https://blitzresearch.itch.io/monkeyx

Now, I can here the question coming from many corners of the round piece of rock we are floating on in space, "If Mark is working on Monkey X2, then why would we want to continue using Monkey X?" Well, the main reason is that Monkey X2 will be focused on 3D gaming while Monkey X is based on 2D games. If you want to try your hand at crafting 2D games then Monkey X is a good tool to learn, though it is a little more complex than QB64 and other BASIC languages.

Please help support The Joyful Programmer and The QB64 Edition by visiting our online store provided by Amazon.com. We hand-picked books related to computer programming from Amazon.com and added them to our store. When you make a purchase from our store, we do receive a small commission from the sale. Visit our store at: http://www.thejoyfulprogrammer.com/qb64/...azon-store
Find all posts by this user
Like Post
07-21-2017, 09:11 AM
 (Print Post)
RE: Monkey X has been discontinued
Thanks Walter.

Had heard of and used blitz 'back in the day', when I was running with windows, and had only just recently heard of MonkeyX. Since I figured it was mainly to do with Windows, I had not given it much thought. You also mentioned that it was a little more complex that QB64 and other basics, in a nutshell, how so? Is it a language, in your opinion, worth learning? (I cringed a little at 'complex'...)

J

May your journey be free of incident.

Live long and prosper.
Like Post
07-21-2017, 10:09 AM
 (Print Post)
Johnno56,

MonkeyX is based on JAVA and has a slight learning curve. However, it comes with tons of samples that you can learn from.

MonkeyX can be used for Windows, Android, Linux, and OS X (Mac). It cam translate/compile to Adobe Flash, iOS, HTML5, WP7/WP8, and Xbox 360. I purchased the professional version over a year ago for $99.00 to create Android games, but so far I have only used it to create stuff in HTML5. Sadly, the professional version is no longer offered, but you can do the same exact thing in the current free version.

MonkeyX is very big on classes, and as such, you are require to use them to build even the basic "HELLO, WORLD!" program. But, once you get used to it, the 2D possibilities are endless.

Here are some demos I have online so far: http://www.thejoyfulprogrammer.com/demos/monkeyx2/. The two firework demos are mine, but the others are samples from MonkeyX. You can find the source code to one of the firework demos here on this forum at http://www.thejoyfulprogrammer.com/qb64/...hp?tid=515.

Is it worth learning? Well, it is a very powerful 2D graphics engine and you can do some amazing things if you work hard at it. Mark Sibley stated that Monkey2 will not translate to HTML5 or do 2D graphics, and that one should continue to use MonkeyX for that.

Please help support The Joyful Programmer and The QB64 Edition by visiting our online store provided by Amazon.com. We hand-picked books related to computer programming from Amazon.com and added them to our store. When you make a purchase from our store, we do receive a small commission from the sale. Visit our store at: http://www.thejoyfulprogrammer.com/qb64/...azon-store
Like Post
07-22-2017, 08:20 PM
 (Print Post)
i was going to say that things like this should open source before they fold (which is what netscape did)

...except thats exactly what theyre planning to do. i realise that at this time, no one is picking up development, but once it is open-sourced, anyone can pick up development whenever they feel like it.

(even walt could, except he is busy with other things.)
Like Post