You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
SIGN IN Join Our Community For FREE

NEW CHANGES COMING TO THE QB64 EDITION
09-09-2017, 08:44 PM (This post was last modified: 09-11-2017 12:04 PM by Waltersmind.)
 (Print Post)
NEW CHANGES COMING TO THE QB64 EDITION
I wanted to let everyone know, as of today (2017, September 9th) there are some changes coming soon to this forum. Here are the changes:

1. Changing the logo.
  2. Removing the menu under the current logo.
  3. Removing the entire member-menu in the black section underneath the current logo.
  4. Adding: "Founded 2014" underneath the new logo.
  5. Removing the "250 recent posts" section from the main index page.
  6. Replacing the black section underneath the current logo with a newspaper double-line tagline section.
  7. Removing the logo section in the current black section as well.
  8. I will be adding a static black bar at the bottom of the browser view portal that will contain an JavaScript-free menu-like system that will contain a button for the "250 recent posts" popup section, a button that shows various social media sites The Joyful Programmer belongs to, a center button that will contain information on the member's private messages, a menu button which contains icon buttons (possibly the same ones used in the current black bar) so members can access their control panels, posts and threads, as well as other stuff, and then there will be a new "TIP JAR" button for those who wish to support the community.
  9. With the new "TIP JAR" in place, all Google Ads will be removed from this forum, but will remain on the home page. Due to the low volume of visitors to this forum, compared to bigger sites like StackOverflow.com, this site and forum has only brought in $73.00 (US) since 2014, which I can not collect until it hits $100.00 (US).
  10. The final addition will be a fancy header bar above the logo which will contain the members code name, number of contributions, number of members preferred, and time spent on the forum. My goal is to make the forum more functional, more fun, and provide a better user experience. Later on, I have other features I will add to the static bar at the bottom.
  11. Some of the graphics on this site will be optimized a little bit better for faster page downloads

* NEW CHANGES ARE IN GREEN

Since I do not have a test machine to make these changes to, you may see the changes being made while you are visiting, and you may see the site crash a couple of times, so I wanted to let everyone know ahead of time of what is going on.
If you have any questions, ideas, or suggestions, please let me know.

My goal is to bring joy, excitement, fun and education to all computer programming hobbyists, tinkerers, and amateurs. I also enjoy helping and working with those who aspire at becoming masters of their craft.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post
09-09-2017, 10:37 PM
 (Print Post)
RE: NEW CHANGES COMING TO THE QB64 EDITION
what really qualifies it as "founded 2017?"

it was founded a few years ago. you changing the name then?
Like Post
09-10-2017, 12:16 AM (This post was last modified: 09-10-2017 12:17 AM by KingAshish.)
 (Print Post)
Hi Waltersmind.
Your forum is very good. But it's design is not responsive, i.e., it doesn't fit into mobile devices.
If You made this site responsive then it will be good for smaller devices like tablets, mobile phones, etc.
Also, the page take a bit of time to load. Smile
Like Post
09-10-2017, 12:24 PM
 (Print Post)
Quote:
Hi Waltersmind.
Your forum is very good. But it's design is not responsive, i.e., it doesn't fit into mobile devices.
If You made this site responsive then it will be good for smaller devices like tablets, mobile phones, etc.
Also, the page take a bit of time to load. Smile

I made similar comments trying to be helpful but my post got disappeared. ;(

B += _
Like Post
09-10-2017, 12:49 PM
 (Print Post)
@Easylangs

That was a typo on my part and has been corrected. Thanks for pointing that out.

@KingAshish

I did not write this forum software and this version wasn't designed around mobile devices. The forum software I am using is called, "MyBB", and all I did was modify it.

MyBB is suppose to be coming out with a new version sometime (maybe next year? Who knows) that is suppose to be mobile friendly, but it will not be easy to update it as the new version is written from scratch. The template and theme systems will be different as well as the database layout.

If I attempt to update this forum to the new version, I will have to spend a lot of hours hacking both versions just to simply transfer the data (forums, threads, posts, etc...) from the old to the new, and I am not sure it will be worth it.

At this time, all I can do is modify this version to make it better over time.

My goal is to bring joy, excitement, fun and education to all computer programming hobbyists, tinkerers, and amateurs. I also enjoy helping and working with those who aspire at becoming masters of their craft.
Like Post
The following 1 user Likes Waltersmind's post:
KingAshish
09-10-2017, 04:18 PM
 (Print Post)
most of the designs that are tablet friendly are also extremely crappy on a desktop.

sure, they work on both. but they craaawwwwwl on an underpowered laptop and they make it take longer to find things or get to things, by obscuring them under modern phone-design crap.

that doesnt mean no one should make new designs. it means that most of the modern ones suck a lot. they favour phone and tablet users and crap all over everything else. i just shut down my own forum because they sold out to tapatalk, which has crapped all over phpbb. the new design is a nightmare-- but other "mobile-friendly" options-- for forums-- are even worse. for checking the weather? i actually like the mobile version.
Like Post